Monday, February 2, 2009

I'm going to be 28...

It is so funny how life gets away with you...It seems like the time between 18 and 28becomes a blur and all you remember are a couple of key moments.
My key moments...
1. Finding Matt and setting out to marry him and accomplishing that task at all cost! and believe me, it cost A LOT! That's a long story. I'll tell it sometime if you are interested! :o)
2. Finding God in the most unlikely place (a single brothers' household in our apartment complex in SD). And realizing that after so many years of searching, He was right there all along waiting for me to give up myself and do things HIS way!
3. Having 2 sons: one living and one "lying down in peace; asleep and at rest with kings and counselors of the earth." (Job 3)
So, here we are with me soon turning 28. Is this supposed to be a tough age to get past? I guess it just feels so grown up...So unlike me! Maybe it's having and holding a son, a precious gift from heaven and knowing he depends on me for everything or maybe it's one step closer to 30 and not really sure I want to take it, but here I am.
I can't say I'm wise by any ones' standards, but a couple of things I have learned along my journey...
1. It's not a good idea to open your home to just anyone. We have learned through the school of hard knocks that too much love can cause a heart to grow sour. Time and time again as we have been willing to invite outsiders in (mainly men who are not following God) we have found them to eventually hate us for it. It's a sad truth. (2 Cor 6:14-15; Prov 25:21-22; Prov 29:10)
2. You are never more happy than you are when you are giving of yourself. I find that in my marriage and my relationships there is an evil at work. Satan is always wanting me to think of me and do things for me, but when I turn and obey God's command to put others first (Rom 12:10; Phil 2:3-8) I am so much more satisfied and taken care of. My heart truly finds joy and satisfaction when others are my focus.
3. One can never know all they need to know. There is so much to learn especially for Believers...The Bible is an endless mystery and as soon as you know something you must learn something else! The learning and growth never ends. I love this about the movement we are a part of. It is so encouraging that our leaders may have been teaching and learning for 30 years +, but they are still eager to learn today...and to learn from someone like me! That takes humility! I pray that when I'm in their shoes I will be that moldable, that humble!
4. There is no doubt in my mind that God's way is the best way. I said in #2 above that I found Him in the most unlikely place. I just wasn't looking in the right place. He isn't found in a church building, on a mountain top or in an emotional experience (Jn 4:21-24)...He can only be found in His Word. (Jn 20:30-31; Jms 1:22-25) His guide book for life. (2 Tim 3:16-17; Jn 8:31-32) I won't be fooled any longer by eloquent speech or good intentions. (2 Tim 4:2-3) God's word is clear and it is my only guide. (Heb 4:12-13)
I'm turning 28! Wow! I pray this year will bring much fruit and MUCH honor to God! I can't wait to see what's in store!

1 comment:

Davene said...

Yay for 28! May this year be memorable in many ways so that when next year rolls around and you turn 29, you'll be able to look back with contentment, peace, and joy as you see how you walked with God during this time of your life!

I personally think the 30s are great, so don't worry about hitting that milestone. :)